Field Notes End Papers Memo Book
This product is sold out
OUR 40TH QUARTERLY EDITION
A slim profile. Perfectly simple, sturdy covers. Vintage marbled end papers. High-quality paper stock. Sewn-in-signature binding. These 68-page journals are just the place for a life-list, a collection of ideas, or the outline of that project you’ve been waiting to start. You know the one.
The “End Papers” Edition feels a bit more permanent than a simple use-and-abuse Memo Book; it’s our classic and practical take on a personal journal. They are Field Notes, however, so please, let’s not call them “fancy.”
Like many of our Quarterly Editions, this 40th design of the series started with some research into a little corner of publishing history. Paper marbling is a creative, dynamic craft that has been practiced for centuries. It has most often been used for producing singular and abstract patterns to adorn the end papers of hand-bound, hard cover books. (End papers serve as a means to attach a “block” of pages to a book’s cover.) We’ve carefully reproduced two 19th Century examples for this release.
We also located two modern-day practitioners of the craft of paper marbling to give us a demonstration of the swirly, hypnotic art form. As you might expect, we filmed that… Thanks to Sevim Surucu and Cary Suneja for sharing their expertise!
BOUND TO IMPRESS
The marbled papers reproduced in this edition come from the University of Washington Collection; the green book features a “Schrottel” pattern, while the blue book features an “Antique Straight” pattern.
64 pages of Mohawk Via Vellum 70#T “Pure White” are Smyth-sewn in signatures, then glued into the covers, like our “Dime Novel” and “Signature” editions. Our end papers are more decorative than structural, but they give the journals a timeless, traditional look: subdued on the outside with a bit of classic personality inside.
The body pages are ruled in “Mist Gray” on the right-hand page (“recto,” if you’ll allow us to flaunt a bit more bindery jargon) and blank on the left (“verso”) side. While useful for pretty much anything, these sturdier, more permanent books are a great personal place to catalog all the Caravaggios you have seen, the ballparks you have visited, wines you have uncorked, Wilco sets you have heard, vegetables you have harvested, or even all the Field Notes Quarterly Editions you have acquired.
ARE YOU FREE NEXT YEAR?
Anyone who has an active year-long subscription that includes the “End Papers” Edition will get one of our resized and revised 15-Month Work Station Calendars FREE with their Fall shipment. So, if your sub started with Resolution, Coastal or Three Missions, you’re getting a Calendar. If you start a subscription with “End Papers,” you’ll get one too.
The first shipment of a new subscription will also include two 3-Packs of our original Kraft Memo Books and our kinda weird “Tenth Anniversary” 3-Pack. Then you’ll receive two each of the Winter, Spring and Summer Editions when they’re announced.
Without giving anything away, active subscribers receiving Winter shipments are going to be at a very distinct and very important advantage over everybody else. We can’t say more, but if you are not a subscriber, you are going to need to cozy up to a trustworthy friend who is.
- 01. Proudly printed by the good people of eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill.
- 02. Cover: French Paper 100#C “Timber Green” and “Nightshift Blue” with a tinted varnish, debossed by Nu Wave Die Cutting & Finishing, Chicago, Ill.
- 03. Endpaper patterns reproduced in process color on Mohawk Via Vellum 70#T “Pure White,” with permission of the University of Washington Collection of Marbled Papers: (Green) Vintage 19th c. marbled paper, Schrottel pattern UW 39509, Z271.3 M37 U56 1700. (Blue) Vintage 19th c. marbled paper, Antique straight pattern UW 39508, Z271.3 M37 U56 1700.
- 04. Innards: Mohawk Via Vellum 70#T “Pure White,” with a fine, 1-color application of “Mist Gray” soy-based Saphira ink.
- 05. Cover and innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color printing press.
- 06. Bound with Coats Dual Duty C8167 “Natural” thread on a Smyth Freccia sewing machine and Muller Martini Norm binder at Harris Bindery, Downers Grove, Ill.
- 07. Corners precisely rounded to a 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge SCM double round-corner machine.
- 08. Ruled lines (right-hand pages): 1/4" (6.5mm).
- 09. Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 7" (89mm × 178mm).
- 10. FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- 11. All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
- 12. FNC-40 UPC: 858493003738